• +49 33093 32254
  • info@fuerstenberger-seenland.de


Himmelpfort and Neuglobsow, as state-recognised resorts, not only share a common present as popular holiday destinations. They also share a piece of history from the 19th century: Both were locations of glassworks. In the Himmelpfort district of Pian, numerous glassworks were established at the beginning of the 19th century, which used the wood needed in large quantities from the surrounding forests. At the end of the 19th century, wood was replaced by hard coal and glass was henceforth manufactured industrially. That was the end of the Brandenburg glassworks, almost all the inhabitants of Pian moved away.

Since the 1950s, Pian has been the location of numerous holiday homes. Today, tourism is the most important pillar of the village. Neuglobsow had a similar career; here the glass came from the "green hut", which suggests the colour of the goods produced by the glassblowers. Neuglobsow had two glassworks in succession. The first was built in 1780 on the edge of the forest near Lake Dagow. The second was built a few metres further south.

It is not only the layout of the village that has been preserved, which dates back to the construction of the first hut. Some of the historic glassmakers' houses and the former inn are still standing. One of the houses houses the glass museum, which brings the history of the glassblowers to life. The Fürstenberg district of Steinförde also owes its boom to glass production. A glassworks was operated here from Neuglobsow from 1780 to 1801.

Secret history

The history of the Mecklenburg and Brandenburg Lake District is as exciting as a thriller.

Read more
Land and people

Listen to the stories of the people and enjoy their hospitality.

Read more
Cookie consent